Nereus logo

Refit 4: Vilamoura (part 3)

Date: 24/9/2010 - 22/01 2011
(all pictures are clickable)

This is an update of the jobs done here in Portugal...

One the first things done in October is setting up a stronger and much bigger protection "tent" over the whole boat ! This one allowed me (and the others) to work standing up and on the full length of the boat.

The fridge was improved. While making a better opening at the top, we discovered some rot UNDER the top surface (which was fine) ! So we removed the whole top and noticed the fridge was poorly insulated with polysterene. The carpenter then replaced the polysterene by polyurethane and made a new cover.

We also discovered that a frame (which makes the boat strong) was partly rotten. The carpenter removed the rotten part and replaced it. He then made a 'sister' (parrallel frame), at the joints, to strengthen the whole repair.

Both masts were entirely stripped from their fittings. Then, where needed, damages were repaired. For example where screws were ripped, a new bigger hole was drilled and a little peg was inserted and glued. Here and there, a new piece of wood was inserted. Then all existing varnish was removed and the masts were sanded. We were then ready to apply new layers of varnish. At the time this page is published, the mizzen mast had 9 layers of 2-component varnish (no more needed) and the main mast 7 layers.

The whole deck (with exception of the aft deck, see further) has been, with a LOT of help from professionnals, recaulked (removing and replacing the seals between the teak planks). The last part of this job is sanding the deck, but that will be for later !

Another important job is repairing the aft corners of the cabin roof. At the color of the wood (turning black) and some other visual clues (like the one on the following picture), we knew there has been water infiltrating there...

And, as we expected, we found when removing some corner boards, some rotten wood.

Further inspection showed us more rotten wood and filling of old holes with Sikaflex, silicone and some filler... The origin of the leak was not taken care of, so the rotting process continued... The carpenters removed as much rot as possible. They also found many ferro (! bad as they rust in marine environment !) nails, which didn't do the wood any good... Once that done, they repaired the damage where possible and replaced the wood that was too bad...

what we found just behind the 'visible' part of previous picture...

Now admire what a professional carpenter can do...

Before... After !

While placing the new gas locker, as the old one was falling apart and did NOT conform to safety rules, the carpenters noticed that some of the beams below the aft deck, had some rot... Further investigation showed that there were many things to repair over there. I'll show you some pictures next time, but in short: the whole aft deck was removed (not replaced !). Right now the carpenters are building up again.

Another important job that is currently undertaken: replacing the bottom of the cockpit (where people sit outside). There was an inox plate, but under that plate, we found rotten beams and plywood. Pictures of that are for next time, when all is done.

So, what started as a refit, turned out to be a major refit ! I still laugh about the selling brooker as he told me the boat "just" needed some new varnish ! I knew better and definitively didn't believe him, but I never expected this ! Even the marine carpenters here in Vilamoura went from surprise to surprise...